Monday, April 02, 2007

The B List - Sci fi/Fantasy Slang



Noy Jitat - Pirates of Dark Water

This series had many curse words, but this is the one I remember and say the most. I believe it was Ioz's swear word of choice, but PiratesofDarkwater.net states that Ren was actually the first to use it.








Frack
- Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar's F-word has been showing up all over lately. I just heard it on Veronica Mars the other night and it has entered into my vocabulary pretty easily. Interestingly enough, Wikipedia links the first use of "Frak" to my favorite Star Trek character, Scotty in Final Frontier.


Frill - Farscape

I have been catching up on the amazing space drama Farscape on DVD lately and I have to say that Frill is a forerunner of Frack, just as many of the ideas in Battlestar tie directly back to the crew of Moya.



Thank the Maker - Star Wars

Star Wars has a ton of slang, from Nerf Herder to (the horrible) wizard, but my favorite of all time has to be C3-P0's "Thank the Maker." Out of all the slang from movies and tv, I probably say this one the most.

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM CDT, Blogger D. G. D. Davidson said...

Are you sure "frack" was inspired by Farscape? I'm pretty sure they used it in the original Battlestar Galactica series.

 
At 7:42 PM CDT, Blogger buck said...

Maybe I was overstepping there a little. I have read that "frack" was used in the original Battlestar. What I was really trying to get at was the amount of swearing and the multiple uses of the word in Battlestar is very reminiscent of how "frill" was used colloquially in Farscape. That coupled with the Harvey in the head and other links make me believe that the new Battlestar could claim Farscape as a forerunner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.