Thursday, June 08, 2006

New Line to Remake Battle Royale



According to Variety, New Line has bought the remake rights to the Japanese SF movie Battle Royale. I knew it had to happen sooner or later and I have a queasy mix of dread and excitement.

The original Japanese film directed by Kinji Fukasaku is a ultra violent look at violence in society. It's not for everyone, but there is innocence and loss just under the surface. Stories of children on the verge of adulthood who love, hate, regret and feel passion about their shortened lives.

Can a Hollywood company capture that, or will they change the overall message into one of authoritarianism and/or terrorism/imperialism as the poor Japanese sequel did?

I have my doubts.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM CDT, Blogger Paulo said...

I have zero doubts that this movie will be seriously defanged if remade for an American audience. Honestly, I don't even see it being made.

 
At 10:24 PM CDT, Blogger buck said...

I couldn't agree more. And, after they get idiot WB and Fox teen stars to star it will be ruined even further.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.